By Lesley Goulding

Saturday, July 22, 2017

Off With Your Bra

My favourite part of the day since I started wearing a bra at 16, has always been taking said bra off at the end of each day. The relief that would flow through my body after I whipped the bra to the other side of my bedroom, not to be seen till the following day, was truly a beautiful thing to feel. How these devices of torture are normal is ridiculous. I was forever fixing the band of them, as I found it constantly dug into my ribcage. When I wore dresses or anything that required giving the girls a bit of a lift, always resulted in an exasperated sigh as I put on my go-to back satin go to dress bra on, and look to my dismay, at the empty space in the left boob holder - yes my boobs are different sizes, so are most womens, as are most humans legs different legs - so when a staph infection I had traveled to my breast earlier in the year I was more than happy to not wear a bra, and I had an actual medical reason to why I couldn't wear one. 

Around Christmas time I got my first my staph infection ( which any of you who are readers here will know) at this time I also developed dermatitis on a very sensitive area. My nipples. It came with a lot of complications, chaffing being the number one problem. It seemed if I was tired, they'd flare, wear the wrong bra, flare, even at times I felt if I ate something too sugary it'd flare. Then fast forward to my third infection of the year. This particular bacterial infection I had traveled to my breast causing a cyst to develop in my breast tissue. I touched on this incident slightly on my social media accounts and the sheer terror when this cyst - its presence unknown to me - ruptured on my way home from town one day. The pain I felt was like nothing else I had experienced, and for it to be in my boob was terrifying in itself as a woman. This now ruptured cyst left me with a very prominent  infection in my boob which manifested  in my nipple. Meaning bras were not an option until it healed. If all of this sounds highly uncomfortable to you, thats because it was highly uncomfortable. 


Going for a month without a bra left me with a new sense of liberation that I could indeed get away with not wearing a bra, and as a small chested gal it didn't cause too much problems when I went to exercise - just chiming in here that I don't do cardio so the twins really weren't put through their paces without support. As it stands I hate bras, and not being able to wear one wasn't that big of a deal, but when everything healed I was left with the skin around my nipples and themselves being even more sensitive to certain materials found in bras. And so my hatred towards modern  My go to bralette at the time was an American Apparel halterneck cotton bralette which I bought for €15 squid at christmas time, and to my dismay I missed the closing store sale of AA on grafton street and missed the ideal opportunity to stock up on the perfect bralette. But fear not, I have scouted out other ideal bralettes made with textile contact dermatitis friendly materials. Check out my selections below! I'm a firm believer that basic is better. 



I have always wanted to purchase something from Base Range and
I think now is the time to indulge myself when everything is made
from organise cotton, how could I not?
Base Range Kinch Bra - €35


This lined lace bralete from Monki is a great way to add a bit of sauce to your initiates without irritation
Monki @Asos €10.13

This criss cross hater neck cotton bralette from Boohoo is
like a dream to me now that Amercian Apparel is no longer.
Boohoo - #7.00

The perfect sports cotton bra from Pretty Little Thing
This perfect grey cotton sports bra from Pretty Little Thing  is the ideal substitute
PLT - €13.50



SaveSave
I recently picked up this soft bra from Cos in the
summer sale and it is my new favourite bra.
I got mine for €10 in store.
Cos - €19



SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig